Thursday, November 2, 2023

Word Black History Month 2023

 To celebrate Black History Month, I attended a special word poetry event at Attenborough Art Centre on Thursday 26 October 2023. The event was headlined by the great poet, John Agard and supported by locally based poets, Kamisha and Michael Brome, as well as a specially curated small group of further writers/performers. 


I really enjoyed learning and listening about Blacky History Month, as I have read and watched many documentaries over the years.


John delivered a lecture based workshop in advance - the described as a 'Journey with John' - which I found really interesting and inspiring.

 

During the final segment of the evening, several performers, including John, shared poetic tributes to Jean Binta Breeze - the Patron of WORD! and another great, female poet, who passed away a couple of years ago. It was sad to hear about her passing but great to remember and honour such an important person.


Overall I was I had a great time listening to a range of poetry talent, thank you to everyone involved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments and feedback, please do keep looking and commenting

Word Poetry Sini Seneviratne

  A Night of Words and Connection: Poetry Event at Attenborough Art Centre Yesterday evening, I had the pleasure of attending a captivating ...